Welcome to the club– SAMRU Clubs that is!
Are you interested in starting a SAMRU club, but you’re not sure about what you need? Or have you started a club, but are looking for some extra information? Keep on reading to find some useful tips for new and existing clubs!
To start a new club, there are a few criteria you’ll need to meet:
- Clubs must be unique and cannot overlap with any existing clubs
- Clubs cannot limit or discriminate membership on any basis except that members must be current students of Mount Royal University
- Clubs must have a mission and purpose that services some or all of the Mount Royal University student community
- Clubs must have at least three executives and ten members who are current Mount Royal University students
You’ll then have to get your club ratified (aka make it ~official~). There are two easy steps to getting ratification:
- Submit your ratification form to the Events & Clubs Coordinator
- At least two club executives must complete training
The ratification form can be found online here.
If you’ve already gone through the process of getting your club approved (hooray!), you might be wondering about funding, holding events, and advertising. Due to the ongoing pandemic, clubs can only hold events at MRU if the event takes place at West Gate Social in Wyckham House. However, clubs are also free to book events anywhere they’d like off campus (as long as the venue has a Restrictions Exemption Program in place)!
SAMRU also has a budget specifically for clubs that is split into a few different funding opportunities. There is a Food and Beverage Fund, Development Fund, Collaboration Fund, Start-Up Fund and Marketing Fund. As long as your club is fully ratified, you can access this funding to put on events and engage with your members!
All club event logistics can be coordinated with the help of SAMRU’s Clubs and Events Coordinator. Regardless of where or when the event is being held, club executives will need to fill out an approval form where they outline their activity and provide some details. This should be submitted at least two weeks in advance of the event. With enough notice, your Students’ Association can assist you in promoting your club event to students!
If you’re looking to advertise around campus for your event, you can print posters through SAMRU’s poster program for clubs. You can also request to have your approved event advertised on the official SAMRU Instagram account (a community of almost 1,500 users)!
Sounds pretty great, right? For more information, or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.