Tax Clinic

Students are asked to come prepared to your appointment with all your required tax forms and receipts.
Even if you do not have any income, you are still encouraged to file a tax return as you may be eligible for various benefits or credits.
Download Documentation Checklist
Calendar Booking shortcode here

Eligible clients for this service must meet the following criteria:

  • Individuals with an income of less than $35,000
  • Married/common-law couples with a combined income of with less than $45,000
  • Have a simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from any of these sources:
  • employment
  • pension
  • benefits such as the Canada Pension Plan, disability insurance, employment insurance, and social assistance
  • registered retirement savings plans (RRSPs)
  • support payments
  • scholarships, fellowships, bursaries, or grants
  • interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
  • are self-employed or have employment expenses
  • have business or rental income and expenses
  • have capital gains or losses
  • Foreign property (T1135)
  • filed for bankruptcy in the tax year (or the year before, if that return has not yet been filed)
  • are completing a tax return for a deceased person

Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you need more information about missing information.

Information about your personal client file, and/or instructions on obtaining your notice of assessment. We cannot contact CRA on your behalf due to sensitivity issues with regards to client confidentiality. We also cannot answer complex tax questions. If you need more information or have questions about your personal tax situation, please contact the CRA’s hotline at 1-800-959-8281 or visit them online at You can also log in to your CRA My Account.

Volunteers are not employees or volunteers of the Canada Revenue Agency. The SAMRU Tax Clinic is provided by a partnership between the Students’ Association of Mount Royal University and the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.